Pages

A glance view in the office

Office room
                                                          

Counselling Room

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

Surrounding the school: the court


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

Main Convent School




The Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus popularly known as the Convent, Brewster Road, or simply the Main Ipoh Convent School, is the main English-language girls' school in Ipoh. Now known as Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Convent Ipoh, it was founded by Sister Prudence, a nun belonging to the Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus (Les Dames de Saint-Maur), back in 1907, with assistance of the missionaries of St Michael's Church. Sister Prudence had travelled from Taiping the preceding year to lay the foundation for a school to each Catholic education to girls in Ipoh.

Classes began at Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus in January, 1907. There were four classes and three teaching nuns on the first year. For the first thirty years of its operation, lessons were given only in English. However, in 1938 the Main Convent school founded St Philomena School to teach in Tamil, followed by Ave Maria School the same year, to teach in Chinese. Additional schools were established, namely Marian School in 1957 and Tarcisian School in 1966, all the effort of Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus.

The main school building of the Convent faces Brewster Road, and came to be known also as the Convent, Brewster Road. It was completed in 1927, with the central wing in 1929 and the rear wing in 1935. The main fa├žade has a row of Neo-Gothic arches over the corridor. Upstairs are trefoil-shaped windows with timber shutters. On the pediment is the figure of Jesus.


Credit to  (EarthDocumentary, 2008) and (New Ipoh Talk forum, 2008)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

A glance through inside compound Main Convent School Building




 Credit to: (New Ipoh Talk forum,2008)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

Main Convent School Building



The Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, or fondly known as Main Convent (MC) was founded by Mother St. Victoire, and set up with the support of Mother St. Anatoli, Assistant General to the Priests' Assembly in Paris in a modest wooden building. Credit to: (Ipohtown,2009)


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

Girls of Ipoh Main Convent


Originally known as the Convent of the the Holy Infant Jesus, the school was founded by Mother St. Victoire, supported by Mother St. Anatoli, Assistant General to the Priests’ Assembly in Paris. It opened on 7th January 1907, at a small house in the compound of the St. Michael’s Church (Ipoh), with only eight students. Initially, it had only two teachers headed by headmistress Sister St. Prudence. The enrolment of the school increased to 99 students by the end of that year. Credit to: (Ipohworld's,2008)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

The building structure


Main Convent adopts the neo-Gothic design. The main building's facade shows a series of pointed arch.
Credit to: (Ipohtown,2009)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS